Tuesday, July 30, 2013

一龍 Ichiryu: the golden bowl

I've grown up with this nostalgic flavor, in this nostalgic town, since I was a little girl. Shimokitazawa, where both the new and the old coexist.

Ichiryu's bright red interior

This an old-school bowl. I always order the chuka-soba, which is very cheap!

Chuka soba (600yen)

The color of the soup is golden. Made only from chicken and pork bones (and probably a few secret ingredients), its color shows how beauty can come from perfecting the simple things.

 
One sip and it tastes like home. I don't know why this flavor makes me feel so relaxed.


The broth clings to the curly noodles really well. And the red ginger topping gives a nice, refreshing taste if the bowl gets too oily, making you want to eat more and more.


I don't know how to classify this bowl (tonkotsu? shoyu?), as it's creamy and deep, but not too rich or fatty. I'm so small that I can't normally finish the soup, but I never have a problem here.

EVERYTHING in Ichiryu's bowl is a pleasure to eat. I think its simplicity is the reason why so many people have been attracted to it over the years.


I love this bowl and I love this town!

Tokyo, Setagaya-ku, Kitazawa 2-30-11 Kitazawa Bldg. 1F
Closest stn: Shimokitazawa

Open from 1130am-10pm

Lum

No comments:

Post a Comment