Thursday, February 19, 2015

ラーメン 煮干王 凪ゴールデン街店本館 Nagi Golden Gai: 24 hour party people

Tokyo never sleeps, even on New Year's Day!


After counting down at an overcrowded party at the top of the Mori Tower in Roppongi, we got tired. The place was packed and we couldn't move.


We craved some toshikoshi ramen, the first ramen of the new year. We hopped on a train and went from Roppongi to Shinjuku. Surprisingly, Nagi opened their shops for 24 hours even during the new year's holiday. It was my first time visiting the original Golden Gai shop, in the midst of a sea of small bars that has been getting more popular with tourists these last few years.


Nagi Golden Gai is extremely narrow. You open the door, and the narrow staircase leads you straight into a counter of ten. Even at 3am on New Year's Day, the place was packed. We all ordered the Niboshi (bonito) Ramen.

Niboshi ramen (820yen)

Their advertisements say, "If you don't like bonito, don't order," so I was looking forward to seeing how strong the flavor was.


The noodles are thick and wavy. Once I bit into them, the chewiness mixed well with the bonito flavor.


In addition to the regular noodles, there are wonton strips as well. The silky texture of the wontons was a nice contrast to the chewy noodles. This is a wild bowl!


I slurped it down like it was three in the afternoon. I usually prefer clear or old-school ramen, but if I'm feeling wild, I'll come back here.


I love Tokyo!

Tokyo, Shinjuku-ku, Kabukicho 1-1-10
Closest stn: Shinjuku

Open all day (no holidays!)

Lum

No comments:

Post a Comment