Saturday, February 28, 2015

てんtoてん Ten to Ten: via Okinawa

Hearts and I took a quick sojourn to Okinawa to escape the desolation of Tokyo's winter. Just a three hour flight, and paradise awaits.


Soki soba technically isn't ramen, but it's close enough, and we were starving. It's an Okinawa local cuisine, with noodles made from flour in a process similar to Chinese noodles. Soki soba is sort of a cross between udon and ramen, with light soups made from kelp and bonito.


Ten to Ten was highly regarded by the locals. Inside, the shop looks like a Japanese private residence with its floor seating. Very heartwarming.


We tried their soki soba with a brown rice ball and zenzai (red bean soup).

Okinawa suba set (1100yen)

The soup was incredibly clear and tender. Unlike ramen, it's so light that I would crave even if I was feeling sick. I usually don't slurp the entire soup, but I did here. Kakuni is a soft, marinated form of chashu, and this kakuni was so soft that I could cut it with my chopsticks. The pork had a sweetness to it, and I even gobbled up the thick chunks of fat. Hearts looked at me and was disgusted.


The noodles are a little flavorless, but have a fantastic wavy and slippery texture. They were dancing in my mouth.


The brown rice ball was good...


...but the zenzai (red bean soup) after was the best finish. So clean, cold, and sweet, with a fantastic textural balance between the grains of soft rice and the chewy mochi.


Just writing this post makes me remember how great the soup was. I'll definitely be back when I'm in Okinawa again.


Okinawa, Naha, Shikina 4-5-2
Closest stn: Shikina Park (There are few major subway or train lines in Okinawa, so it's better to drive here or take a cab)

Open from 1130am-3pm (closed Mondays)

Lum

No comments:

Post a Comment