Monday, May 9, 2016

麺や ひだまり Hidamari: the town

My first trip to Sendagi was when I was a college student. I went there to take my resume photo for job hunting at a small photo studio. I really hate the memory of job hunting right after the economic recession, so I always associate Sendagi with seeming like a boring part of town.

Wafu shio ramen with egg (820yen)

Hidamari, which translates to "sunshine," is about a five minute walk from the station. It's also one of our favorite slice of life anime from Shaft, but that's neither here nor there. We avoided the lunch rush, but all the seats were still occupied. While we were waiting, we could check out the shop's menu (written in English and Japanese).


Behind the shop, some niboshi (bonito) were drying in the sun. If I was a cat, I would definitely steal them.


The shop's interior is full of wood furniture and relaxing jazz music. The owner apparently learned his trade at Sou, one of our favorite shio ramen shops, so I went with the shio. Hearts got the shoyu. 


Shoyu ramen with egg (820yen)

The noodles are silky, soft, and are made of 100% wheat flour. Both bowls have a lot of chicken umami. On your first visit, I recommend you try the shio.


These aren't heavy bowls at all, and the noodles are a bit more tender than usual, perhaps to cater to the older population in the area. Sendagi isn't so bad; the local shopping street has a cafe, steak house, bakery, tea shop, izakaya, and some good ramen. It's a good area to explore in a peaceful mood.


Tokyo, Bunkyo-ku, Sendagi 3-43-9
Closest stn: Sendagi

Open from 1130am-1030pm (closed from 3-6pm on weekdays)

Lum

No comments:

Post a Comment