Monday, August 26, 2013

甲斐 Kai: old school

I've been curious about this ramen shop because it's close to where I live and was recommended to me by a co-worker. I was looking forward to this bowl.


The appearance of the shop itself looks a bit cruddy. Once I entered the shop, the sound of slurping was blaring.

I realized this is a good place to concentrate on eating ramen.

Ajitama soba (700yen)

I ordered the very reasonable chuka soba with seasoned egg. This bowl is what we would call "old school ramen." The soup is dark and strong, not too salty. In other words, very good.


The noodles are curly and have a nice, al dente texture.


But I was especially amazed at how delicious the egg is. I couldn't help but smile when the yolk hit my lips.


I have to add that I was the only girl in the shop at the shop at the time, and everyone was staring hard at me. I understand young people and women are more likely to avoid dirty and small shops like this one, but Kai's ramen should be loved by the young and old alike.


Tokyo, Suginami-ku, Kugayama 2-27-1
Closest stn: Kugayama

Open from 1130am-3pm and 6pm-Midnight Wednesday-Monday (closed every 4th Monday)

Lum

No comments:

Post a Comment